sábado, outubro 29, 2005

A Bird Away Far Away From The Nest

Last night as I lay dreaming / of pleasant days gone by
my mind being bent on rambling / to Ireland I did fly
I stepped on board a vision / and I followed with the will
when next I came to anchor at / the cross near Spancil Hill
_
Delighted by the novelty / enchanted by the scene
where in my early boyhood / so often I had been
I thought I heard a murmur / and I think I hear it still
it's that little stream of water / that flows down Spancil Hill
_
Being on the twenty third of June / the day before the fair
when Ireland's sons and daughters / in crowds assembled there
the young the old the brave and the bold / their duty to fulfill
at the parish church of Clooney / a mile from Spancil Hill
_
I went to see my neighbours / to hear what they might say
the old ones were all dead and gone / and the young ones turning gray
I met Quigley, the tailor,/ he's as bold as ever still
sure he used to make my britches / when I lived in Spancil Hill
_
I paid a flying visit to / my first and only love
she's as fair as the fairest lily / and she's gentle as a dove
she threw her arms around me / saying "Johnny I love still"
she's Nell, the farmer's daughter / the pride of Spancil Hill
_
I dreamed I held and kissed her / as in the days of yore
she said "Johnny, you're only joking / as many was the time before..."
the cock he crew in the morning / he crew both loud and shrill
I awoke in California afar / many miles from Spancill Hill...
_
Lara-laralarara-lara / ....
....
_
Am -- G / ... -- Am
... ... / C -- G
Am ... / C -- G
Am -- G / ... Am
_
(title by me)